If you have self-published your book, you will need to find a distributor to get your book into the various bookstores. This can be a hard sell, but if you know what they’re looking for before taking on a particular book, it will certainly help. Here are a few tips:
1) They like interesting covers or book jackets that will catch peoples’ eyes.
2) Your book must be reasonably priced.
3) You must provide a solid marketing plan.
4) Contact potential distributors at least six months before you actually need their services.
5) A book distributor should only cost you between 20 and 30 per cent of net sales.
6) Watch out for hidden costs for such things as administration, book storage fees, return reserves and catalogue charges.
You will need to send a query letter first that outlines your book and its market appeal. If you get a positive response, you can follow this up with a more in dept letter advising them of your needs, anticipated publication date, where you’d like your book distributed and so on.